Thursday, November 20, 2008
Getting to Korea
First post. Not exactly sure how these things work, but I guess we'll just start cronologically. Let me get everyone up to speed: starting with my last night in the states. I spent my last night partying with some old Academy friends in L.A. (Tuesday) Lasting until around 4am, I was glad to here that first call for surfing was at 6:30am (Wednesday). The boards and wetsuits were pre-rented, so there was no turning back. I won't blame the night prior, but I came to a quick realization; I cannot surf. My small vicotries were found when I could successfully paddle out in under 1/2hr and sit on my board upright, look like I knew what I was doing before falling off. I succeeded in one instance in which a pair of dolphins swam between my buddy and me, not even 5ft away...pretty eye watering actually. Next, airport for my 12(noon) takeoff, non-stop to Seoul; 15 or so hours. The plane is huge and I have my own screen in front of me, plentiful with movies and in-flight entertainment. As tired as I am, not having really slept in 2 days, I decide to watch a movie. One movie down, only 5 or 6 more to get me close to our land time. I quickly remember that I have some ambien the flight doctor gave me for the flight and remember nothing else. I awake to the prepare the cabin for landing announcement; victory is mine. The local time is 5pm the next day(Thursday). After battling customs, the Korean/US bus transportation system I finally get some food and have 2 bus tickets. We drive forever, probably ran some loops around Seoul, China, Japan, North Korea, Taiwan, and Thailand. We finally arrive at Kunsan...local time 2am (Friday). I'm greeted by 3 squadron members because the rest of the squadron is in Alaska for an exercise, probably sleeping at the moment...I am jealous. I get my room in the Inn here on base and passout, not being able to sleep past 6am due to my sarcadian rythem being so far out of wack. A few hours of getting the tour of the base and what do you know...it's the weekend already...stay tuned for next post.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment